Saturday, May 7, 2011

All in a Friday Night's Work

I came home from work last night to see this view in my front yard.
 The inspector checking out the workmanship.
 
It was getting a little late last night, so I snuck out this morning to snap the pictures.  Thank goodness one of Byron's buddies came over to help for awhile - that is a lot of stone to move!  I didn't get to see most of the process, and quite honestly, I'll probably miss a good chunk of it today, too, but I think Byron is realizing it is more work than he had originally thought it would be.  I think he was hoping to be further along last night.  Either way, both of us agree that we would rather have it done right than done fast.
There was one snag that happened.  On Tuesday, we had purchased the bricks and scheduled them for delivery on Friday. On Wednesday, Lowe's called us and told us that we hadn't paid for our capstones.  It seemed odd, but I double checked the receipt and sure enough, they hadn't charged us for them.  At this point, I was glad that they caught this mistake, although I have no idea how they did it, and we just swung by the store again and paid for it.  However, in order to avoid a double delivery charge, they sold it to us as a "pick up later" order, then would just add it to the delivery schedule later.  Sure enough, Friday comes, the delivery comes, and the capstones don't come.  The stinky part about this is that I was on my way to work and had to field about 7 calls from Byron, but to make a long story short, Lowe's delivered!  Haha.  Nice pun.  I don't know exactly, but I think they just went back to the store and drove it back out to us.  Thank goodness we live so close!
Another thing that complicated the process ever so slightly is that we had planned on our yard sloping toward the neighbor's house as you can see in the pictures, but what you might not be able to see (and we definitely didn't) is that from the sidewalk to the middle of the porch, the yard actually slopes UP first.  It's not a big deal, it just means leveling the wall took a little more thought.  And time.  And, I am afraid that we won't have enough bricks, which just means going back to Lowe's for like the 16th day in a row.
I hope to have more progress photos to share soon.  Byron has been a machine attacking this project, but after all there is only so much time in the day.

No comments: