Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Say Hello to my Little Friend

We have a new member of our household, and forgive me for not having introduced her sooner.  She doesn't have a name, though. So I don't exactly know how to introduce her.  I will just show you.
This is my house plant.  Or my little friend, if you will.  I bought this plant at Lowe's a few weeks ago.  It was only like $6 which is why I was willing to try it out.  Of course, I threw away the tag, but I think this plant is called a croton.  I'm not just going off total memory here.  This supports my suspicion.  But regardless of what kind of plant this is, the important part of the story here is that it is not dead!  And, it's growing.  In case you missed it the first time, let me show you again.
Here is an extreme close-up.  If you look way down deep toward the roots, you will even see a brand new stalk.  (Are they called stalks?  Oh well, I think you get the picture.)
I feel like I am gushing like a proud parent.  It's just that in my last place, I didn't exactly have a plethora of windows, and the few plants I tried to have, both indoor and outdoor, didn't exactly thrive.  Not at all.  This one however, is enjoying her little perch on my kitchen windowsill.  
Here is the lesson I have learned so far - don't over water!  I may not remember the name of the plant, but I do remember that it said it needed a lot of water.  To me, that means a LOT of water.  Guess what.  Not necessarily so.  (If this is not news to you and you already knew that, why didn't you tell me sooner?!?!)  I water it just a bit every few days.  So far it seems to be working.  I don't want to get too attached here, but judging by the amount of growth in the past few weeks, I may even need to replant this into a larger pot in a few months.

No comments: