Saturday, April 10, 2010

Totally Free Art Project

It's no secret.  I read A LOT of blogs.  There isn't a day that goes by that I don't mention something that I read on someone's blog.  I will probably start my stories like I actually know these people.  Then someone will ask me a question, and I embarrassingly have to explain how I "know" the person, and that I don't "know" the person, I just feel like I do.  If the particular person I am talking with does not share my love for reading blogs, then I usually get a strange look.  Oh well, I don't care.


That was the long way of me trying to introduce this post.  Because, I saw this idea on one of the blogs that I regularly check out, and I knew I wanted to do it for myself.
The photo isn't the greatest (I was trying to minimize the glare by blocking it with my shadow - probably not the best photography technique), but I really love the result.  And, it was so easy.  It took 30 minutes tops, which included picking out the paint swatches at Lowe's, and I had all the supplies on hand.  And now I'm going to tell you how I did it.


First, I picked out all my paint swatches.  I knew I wanted to focus on yellow and orange, but the pink was a surprise.  I wasn't trying to pick it out, but it's just the way it worked out when I got home.  This may not have been the ideal frame Ihad in my mind to use, but I already had it so I went with it.  I figured out that for my frame, I would need 5 swatches in each section, so I started laying them out on my fancy workspace (bed) like so.
At this point I would like to extend a huge thank you to Minnie, my trusted assistant, for helping to hold the workspace (bed) in place.  After I figured out the groupings, I made them into an orderly grid.  This requires some form of adhesive.  Really any will do.  I used clear tape.  About 500 pieces of clear tape.
Just some of the 500 pieces of tape
Then I centered that piece in the frame.  Then I did it all again for the second section, and then I did it all again for the third section.
And then...you put the frame back together and ta da!  You are done!  All I have left to do is find the perfect place for my new FREE art and hang it up.  I have a few places in mind - the bathroom and the hallway are probably in the lead right now, but really anywhere is a possibility since we haven't hung very much in this house yet.


This paragraph feels a little random here at the end, so if you find the place where it should have been, let me know.  I just want to say that my favorite part of this project is not that it was free or that it didn't take long or that it was super easy, but my favorite part is that when you get up really close to the photo, you can read the names of the paint swatches.  They are always so fun.  I noticed that on mine, there are names like Sweet Peach and Ivory Castle.  How fun is that?  I really encourage everyone to do this project.  It would look great just about anywhere, and depending on the colors that you choose, it can totally change the mood of the piece.  If anyone else does this project, I want to see pictures!
My assistant.  Isn't she cute?!?!

No comments: