Sunday, August 15, 2010

5 Hours

Can you believe it took me 5 hours to do this?
Lets back up here.  My sewing room is out of control.  I never really organized it to begin with when we moved in...I just put things out of sight.  That left me with a dresser with half of its drawers sitting empty and a closet with absolutely no floor space.  One of the things that was occupying the floor space was a huge box of stash fabric.  It was seriously huge, and most of the pieces were inherited from my grandmother, many with the original stickers!  An aside...I will say that there was proof that some of this fabric was from my childhood and dare I say it, before I was born!  For those of you who knew Grandma Adeline, this is no surprise.
But anyway.  Yesterday, I tackled the box.  Unpacked fabric.  Washed fabric.  Ironed fabric.  Folded fabric.  Sorted fabric.  You may have picked this up from the photo, but I even loosely divided the fabric into two color ways - the left side is mostly cool colors (blues, greens, purples) and the right side is mostly warm colors (reds, pinks, oranges, yellows).  My absolute favorite find is the fabric that you see in the far right side of the photo.  It is a linen-ish fabric with little mild cartons & straws on it.  So adorable - I can see it made into a dress someday, sort of like this one.
The floor of my sewing room is still a disaster.  There is just one more (small) stack of fabric to go through plus my scrap basket.  I may require another drawer.  The two I've got are pretty much full to the brim.  Oh yeah, and it just occurred to me that I have other pieces of fabric tucked away in random places in the basement.  Looks like I still have a bit of work ahead of me.  The good news, however, is one, I have a place for the vacuum now, and two, I won't need to go to Joann's for a very long time.  Unless I want to.  Don't tell Byron.

No comments: