Saturday, June 26, 2010

I'm a Michigan Girl at Heart, and This is How I Devote My Love

I was born in Washington, but I have lived in Iowa for the past...well...let's just say since I was five.  So when people ask where I am from or where I grew up, most of the time I answer "Iowa".  But truly, my heart has always belonged to Michigan.  Both my parents were raised there, we spent many vacations there with my grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins, and I even spent two summers working at a camp on the beach outside of Holland.  So no, it is not technically my hometown, or where I was born, or where I grew up, but my Michigan memories do hold a special place in my heart.
So how better to celebrate those memories than to immortalize the location in my home?  I just can't think of any other way.  Especially since I have so many blank walls just screaming for some decoration.  As soon as I found this, I knew I wanted it.  Bonus points that Byron also has ties to Michigan and liked it, too.  And at only $22, it was practically a steal!  I ordered it on one Monday, and it was waiting by my door the next.  I dragged my husband to one of his favorite stores (yeah right) Michaels, and we found a frame in just the right size.  (Although it is here that I will add that I thought 20x24 was a pretty standard size, but maybe it's not because they only had like 2 frames to choose from.)
As soon as we got home, it took about 15 minutes for our dining area to go from this...
To this!
I'm in love with my new poster.  I even claimed the head of the table for myself at dinner tonight so that I could stare at my art.  There are still a TON of items on my list to work on our house, but little by little it is becoming our palace.  And with each new poster hung on the wall or accessory on a shelf or project completed, the pride I feel for my house gets another little boost.
By the way, for anyone wanting help determining how to hang artwork at the perfect height, I stumbled across this and have found it extremely helpful.  I stick to it faithfully and have always been pleased with the results.

No comments: