Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Weekend in Minnesota

We packed up the car and headed out last weekend, to enjoy a little family time together in the last few days before I have to go back to work.  Since it would be our first time traveling with Mason, we didn't want to go too far from home, so we quickly settled on a weekend in Minneapolis, which is only around 4 hours away.  An added bonus is that we can also see my brother Matt while we are up there, and Mason can spend time with his uncle.
Let me just say that the actual drive with a baby was cake, but man, packing for a little one is quite the undertaking. We packed the stroller, the pack and play, blankets, burp rags, so many clothes, and so many diapers.  And we needed it all! I remember thinking to myself when I saw how many diapers got packed that we would have plenty for a couple of days away.  I swear we took maybe 40.  We came home with 6.
Anyway, Mason traveled like a champ.  We left around 9:00 am on Saturday morning, right after a feeding.  He slept peacefully until we were about 10 minutes from our hotel.
Didn't I have a great view from the back seat?  Well, honestly I rode in the front seat pretty much the entire way.  I'm not that paranoid.  Only a little.
We got settled, fed the baby, and then went to meet Matt for a late lunch at the restaurant where he works.  After filling our bellies, we proceeded on to the second most important part of the trip - shopping.  As much as I love to shop, this really was necessary.  I am going back to work in a few days and I'm not quite back to my pre-baby body yet, so getting some clothes that didn't make me look like a stuffed sausage was necessary.  Fortunately all three boys hung in there with me, and I am proud to report mission accomplished.  We went back to the hotel and ordered in for dinner, but not before giving Mason his first dip in a swimming pool.
He loved it!  And I loved it, too.  When the big boys were done with the pool and back in the hot tub, I captured the cutest pictures of my little man (if I do say so myself).  He was on my lap, so I snapped a few pictures by turning my wrist and not even aiming.  And some turned out.
Little guy was trying to suck his thumb.  Adorbs!  We spent some more time with Matt, did lots more shopping including a visit to everyone's favorite, IKEA.  I got a couple frames that I needed for a project I'll share soon, and Byron picked us out a new duvet cover.  Maybe that will inspire a whole new look for our bedroom!  We also talked a lot about what we would do if we came back when the kid(s) were older.  There isn't really any use planning excursions for a two month old, but neither Byron and I can wait till the day when shopping trips become trips to the zoo and the museum and the water park.  All in all, we had a great and relaxing time, enjoyed visiting my brother, and got all shopped out.  I would call our first trip as a family of three a success, and look forward to many more in the future.  I'm already planning out next year's summer vacation, and I'm so excited I can hardly wait!

1 comment:

Miranda said...

what an adorable baby! i love going to Minneapolis! its a great town to visit!