So I realize that I have left everyone hanging on the progress of the nursery, which, admittedly, hasn't been a ton. But we have done some of the foundational work. The "before" shot of the room was an empty blue box, later transformed with the neutral paint.
That was the process of going from blue, to primed, to painted. Byron did the whole thing, pretty much because he wouldn't let me come anywhere near the paint. Even though we did get no VOC paint and it should have been fine, he still did it all. The strange thing is that whenever other people are doing projects, I get super antsy to join in. I was nearly beside myself the whole time trying to figure out what to do. Somehow I managed.
One fun thing I wanted to point out is that we used magnetic primer underneath the window, just for a little something fun (that's what the black stuff was). Byron was definitely skeptical, and I was a little worried that we wouldn't be able to cover the black with such a light topcoat, but if it didn't work, we were only out the cost. Fortunately, it works! Byron became a believer, and hopefully it will serve as a fun little treat for our little one.
After we removed all the tape and put away all the tools, we ordered this crib. I had my eye on it for awhile. I love how old fashioned it looks, and even though it might be a tad girly, I ordered it in a more masculine black. It came within the week and it is perfect.
Finally, we hung blinds in the room. I am a curtain girl at heart, but we learned from experience when this was set up as a guest room that there is a certain time in the afternoon where the sun peeks through and you can't hide it with curtains no matter how hard you try. Well, you can, but it involves taping the curtain to the wall. Classy, we know. So blinds were a necessity. The first two options we tried weren't the right size, but the third time was the charm. We got these from Target, which only cost about $16. I wasn't the smartest when we hung them, so we did end up with a few too many holes in the window frame, but fortunately you can't see our mistakes.
And with the paint done, the crib put together, and the blinds installed, the room now looks like this.
The curtain isn't really a curtain - I just clipped one of my inspiration fabrics up to the rod to see if I liked it. And I do. But, I don't have enough to make two floor length curtains (my favorite). So I could either do one panel, and always have it open to the side, or I could do two panels, but not have them be floor length. I think there is enough to make them just longer than the bottom of the sill. I hope. Any advice? I'm all ears. I do have the other fabric that I could use for curtains, and I think I might have enough of that to make two panels. So we'll see what I end up with.
The next project for the room will be to install this light fixture, which I just ordered today. I saw it in a master bath/master closet redo here and I loved it. It is just what I was looking for locally but wasn't finding anything. It should hopefully be here next week, but it is something that we might have to lure some friends over to help us (and by us I mean Byron) hard wire it in. Don't everyone call us at once, now.
We still have to start working on the dresser, and after that, I'm a little at a loss. I am scouring the ends of the internet for inspiration and ideas, and I know everything will come together eventually. And if it isn't all in place on day one, I'm pretty confident the little guy won't notice it anyway.