For the fall, I decided to tackle a growth chart to measure my little one's growth. Actually, that's a lie. I decided to tackle this for the summer, and I got the thing almost completed, but then I didn't get it hung. For a long time. And then when the fall challenge came around, I just decided to get the darn thing on the wall so I could finally call it good.
So how did I get there? I started by getting supplies...a board, stain, paint, painting tape, and sticky numbers.Then I sanded and stained the whole board. My husband gave me a thorough explanation of the proper way to stain. He honestly had me a little nervous, but seriously...I don't know what he thought I was going to do. It was really easy. And he should have known I am very detail oriented and not sloppy, so the lesson was rather unnecessary (sorry, honey). But as he instructed, I used a sock.
Then I taped up the whole thing, and applied white paint.
When it was dry, i (okay Byron) applied polyurethane. I decided I wasn't a "distressed" type of girl, but after seeing my not-quite-perfect workmanship, maybe I should have reconsidered! We attached some picture hanging hardware to the back, drove a wall anchor into the wall, and it was done! Now that I write this out, I'm embarrassed about how long it sat unhung. It was literally 3 months.
As soon as it was in place, we measured the boy.
And in case you think it is in an awkward place, you are right - it is. But I have visions of making this area a little vignette. A shrine to the Stover family, if you will. Just kidding. Sort of. Just to add one last little thing, the beauty of this is that if we were to ever move, we can take this with us. When I was growing up, we did this in one of our houses, but I think I lived in 5. So there are no plans of leaving just yet, but at least I know that if we do, I won't lose this piece of nostalgia! So thanks for hosting the Pinterest Challenge again, Sherry, Katie, Carmel, and Sarah!